Takhini Hot Springs
Takhini Hot Springs (tɑːkiːniː) is a natural hot springs located just outside the border of Whitehorse, Yukon (28 km from city centre). It is a locally run business which incorporates two pools at different temperatures and has a campground with over 80 sites. It is a historic site and a very popular destination for tourists and locals.
The hot springs flows from the earth to the surface at a rate of 385 litres (86 gallons) per minute. The temperature from the source is 46.5º Celsius (118º Fahrenheit). The pool is divided into two sections: the hot side and the cool side. As the water flows from the source to the hot pool the water cools to 42º Celsius (107.6º Fahrenheit), the cool side is an average of 36º Celsius (96.8º Fahrenheit). Takhini Hot Springs is fortunate to contain no sulphurous odour as is common to most hot springs.
Brave Participants of the International Hair Freezing contest bathe in air temperatures of -30C to achieve their crazy hairstyles, and this bunch were crowned the winners.
Competitors at the Takhini Hot Springs in Whitehorse, Yukon, northern Canada, bathe in hot springs in 40C temperature water and the sub zero temperatures in the air create this stunning effect.
Based on geothermal research, the hot springs water comes from intersecting faults in the earth. Rain water and snow from the mountains go deep into the earth, where the water is heated and the minerals dissolve. The water then returns to the surface and out of the ground in a small crater (the source). The source is currently located near the pool facilities.
According to tests, it has taken a minimum of 60 years for the water in the pools to come from the ground into the source. During its underground journey to the surface, the water reaches a maximum temperature of 95º Celsius (203º Fahrenheit) and then cools down as it rises to the surface and into the source.
Takhini Hot Springs has a long history in the Yukon. Used by the First Nations People for centuries, the site was known for natural hot water flowing from the ground. In 1907 it was commercially promoted for its therapeutic value. The first pool was made of wood and canvas and was built in the 1940s for the use of the United States Army while they constructed the Alaska Highway. In 1950 a concrete pool was built and that was later replaced by the existing pool and building in the 1970s. In 2008, many renovations were undertaken to improve the pool’s facilities. Renovations are still made to this day.